The Love of Our Life

Our daughter, Abigail Grace, was born on February 14, 2005. She has been a source of inspiration, amazement, and great joy to us. This page is for her. Here we will post thoughts, hopes, dreams, and events.

Friday, July 29, 2005

More miracles

Yesterday our friend Katie gave birth to her first child, a boy, named Foley Michael. He was 8 lbs, 5 oz and 21 inches long. A beautiful thing, for sure...

This morning at 3:00, a nurse came to their room and told them that Foley had been moved to the NICU. He has been having trouble with his breathing, and is now on oxygen and medications for a possible lung infection.

This makes me think how very fragile a baby's life is. How we have to care for them and protect them. I know the feeling of joy that comes from welcoming your new child, and the heartache of post partum depression, but I have been so fortunate to have avoided the helpless feeling of knowing that your child is ill and you can't make her better.

I also know that, in God's infinite wisdom, there is a plan for each of us. Perhaps this illness in the beginning of his life will make him stronger later. Katie lost her father as a teenager, and has named her son for him. I know that he is with Foley every step of the way. We pray for so many things, but is anything more important than praying for the health and safety of our children? There can't be, in this mother's heart, a more important prayer to say every day.

So now I pray, not only for my child, but for the children of all of my friends and family, and for the children in this world who do not have the luxuries that we are afforded. Even while I pray for all of these children, tonight I will be saying a special prayer for a precious new boy who hasn't even had a chance to meet all of us who love him, sight unseen.